Photo Storify

Photos, Stories and Scrapbooking

Tag: fotoblendz mask

First Page

I enjoy the challenge and learning involved in digital scrapbooking, especially when I begin a new project, i.e. completing the first page for my 50th Anniversary book. Just the process of experimenting and thinking about this first page helped me to define what I want to do in this book.

After initially completing the right side of the two page spread, I decided that I would focus on our stories using old photos clipped to fotoblendz masks and adding artsy transfers for depth. Simple enough, right? Rule number one, always do double page spreads at the same time. I didn’t, thinking I was only experimenting with an idea. As a result I had trouble with the balance when I began creating the left side to coordinate with my page on the right.

Note: The solid paper is from ArtPlay Palette Lateritious. I explain how I created the right side in a previous post.

For consistency with the right, I first clipped a photo to overlay 1 from FotoBlendz Overlays No. 12.

Then I added the frames and text boxes of file 5 from Project Template Album No. 3. Below the frames, I stamped brush 7 from Spackle Textured No. 8 on a new blank layer.

For interest on the left, I used the same psd transfer from Artsy Transfers Lateritious that I had used on the other side, reducing the size and deleting layers. I also placed transfer 4 from ArtPlay Palette Lateritious below the frames.  Just above the transfer layers, I combined layers from two different psd files from MultiMedia Suns No. 1. I stamped brush 4 from Bunny Rabbits No. 1 on a new blank layer to the left of the black and white photo. It is on normal blend mode at 100%.

It’s at this point that I realized I had a problem with balance. The left side was too heavy because it carried more weight with the frames and the black and white photo.

However, when I added two additional frames on the right side, the page looked more balanced.

I finished my double page spread with a button from ArtPlay Palette Delight below the thread included with the frames.

Now I have a tentative plan for my anniversary project which involves combining the stories with our old photos. I’m going to use primarily fotoblendz masks, artsy transfers, brushes and small frames from templates. Will my plan change as I work on this project? Probably, projects tend to take on a mind of their own. I’m looking forward to Anna’s heritage class in July. Right now, I’m trying to figure out which story I want to write next.

Clipping Photos to MultiLayered Masks

In response to questions about how I clip copies of one photo to multiple layers of Anna’s MultiLayered FotoBlendz Masks I have created a short video. I often clip linked copies of one photo to multiple psd layer masks. I have also simply clipped parts of a photo to stains. In those cases I do not link the photo copies.

For a look at what I shared previously, see this post, Perspective, on the blog. You can find more of Anna’s clipping masks here.

Personal Styles Change

I have used that photo of my dad before, actually nearly five years ago on another page. Looking back at my old page, the fact that my personal style has changed in the last five years is quite evident. My 2012 page looks far more traditional in design. Elements of my current style, as I explained in a previous post, Finding My Style, were evident in 2012: the blending I like to do and the focus on a photo and telling a story in photos and journaling. However, the overall design of that old page was rather conventional. On my new page, the design is far more freeform, definitely more artsy. That’s a skill I have worked on developing through classes and practice in the last few years.

To create my new, more freeform artsy page, I began with brush 4 from ArchiTextures No. 7. That brush reminded me of the house that my dad lived in as a child. To the brush, I clipped two copies of artsy paper 1 from ArtPlay Palette Quaintville, one on linear burn at 50% and one one normal at 60%

To build a background for my brush, I placed overlay 4 from FotoBlendz Overlays No. 10 below the brush. I clipped two more copies of artsy paper 1 to the fotoblendz mask. The top paper layer is on color burn at 50%.

Next, I placed the psd layers of a frame from ArtPlay Palette Wayfaring. I enlarged the frame 25% and then clipped my photo to the mask. I had changed the photo to black and white in Lightroom before importing.

To build a cluster to focus on my framed photo, I added the foliage and a button from ArtPlay Palette Quaintville, thread 5 from ButtonThreadz No. 2, a word label from ArtPlay Palette Hearth and the psd layers of file 3 from MultiMedia Homes No 1.

Finally, to finish my page, I added a wood word from Hearth WordArt Mix No. 1 and journaling.

Mostly I love that I continue to learn and grow as a digital artist. Ongoing learning is important to me!!

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén