Photo Storify

Photos, Stories and Scrapbooking

Playing to My Strengths

I think this is the last water play page for my book. While there are common elements to all the pages that I am incorporating into my book this year, I am adding something unique to each page. On this page, there are actually four extractions: the large family photo, part of my granddaughter Kate in the foreground, my grandson Owen in the middle and Logan’s fun goggles in the title. As I work on this book project, I am playing to my scrapbooking strengths, blending and extractions. I try new things, but I also use skills I know well.

For this page, I went back to Anna’s Project Template Album No. 2. I began by clipping photos to the fotoblendz masks included in templates 22 and 23 before I rearranged the small photo masks by moving one and duplicating another. On the large fotoblendz on the left, I duplicated the photo, extracted the heads, gave them a custom shadow to create more depth in the photo and blended both layers back into the base photo.

Next, I placed an overlay and transfer 1 from ArtPlay Palette H2O. I struggled with a hue and saturation adjustment before finally deciding to simply clip a photo of the water to the overlay on the right. I followed the same process on the left but I reduced the opacity to 80% and kept the photo at 100%. That was enough to fix the color tone on the both sides. In the middle, I placed another photo and stamped brushes from ArtsyPaint No. 9 and ArtsyPaint No. 10 on an inverted mask to reveal enough on the mask to tie the two large photos together across the page gutter.

I then clipped additional photos to the small frames and added adjustment layers to correct exposure and contrast.

I placed two photos across the page gutter, extracted parts and blended them together. I gave the photo of my grandson a custom shadow and added a partial shadow to the photo of my granddaughter. Below the frames, I placed some of the same paper textures from PaperTextures No. 4 that I used on the previous water play page.

I had already adjusted the position of  threads included with the template to create a little dimension. I added brush 7 from Scribble Sun No. 1 and placed an extract of the rims of some goggles.

I may create one more page about our family trip, but not until after I return from a trip to California next week. I have at least twelve other collections of photos for which I would like to create additional pages for this book. Each time I work with Anna’s templates, my process is faster and easier. I am playing to my strengths by combining blending with a few extractions on my pages when I work on my artsy pages. That helps speed my process too!

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Previous

Mixing Masks and Templates

Next

News

3 Comments

  1. Pat

    Linda, love the books you are doing and I’m getting some great ideas. How about a TUT on your process for extracting the “heads” on the left, shadowing, and then finally blending the new layers into the background. Academically I understand what you are saying and doing but I would benefit even more if I could see it in action.

    • Thank you Pat, I’m glad you are finding the info helpful. The teacher in me loves to hear that. I am not sure I can explain clearly enough my process for extractions with words alone. Unfortunately right now I don’t have the time to create a video, but I’ll ask Anna whether she’d like me to share a demo in one of her upcoming fall events. So give me a bit of time to see what I can do.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén